How to apply to the Ph.D. Program
Instructions on how to apply can be found on the UNC Graduate School website. Applications for admission should be submitted through UNC’s Online Application. It is not necessary to send any material directly to the Department of City and Regional Planning.
The DCRP deadline for Doctoral admissions and departmental funding is December 13, 2016
- This application includes a two-page Statement of Purpose, resume/CV, and three letters of reference.
- Upload completed version of the Supplemental Questionnaire with your online Graduate School Application ("Supplemental Documents" section). No action can be taken on your application until both this Supplemental Questionnaire and the Application for Admissions to the Graduate School are complete.
- Pay application fee of $85. Applicants can pay by credit card online, or send check/money order made payable to the University of North Carolina (application will be processed upon receipt of payment).
- Upload one unofficial transcript from each university attended. Transcripts must be uploaded with the online application. Please do not mail transcripts, as this will significantly delay the processing of your application. For applicants who are offered admission, one paper official transcript for each university attended will be required at a later date.
- Send Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores and TOEFL Scores (if applicable). Scores must be original and sent directly from the Testing Service. UNC’s institutional code is 5816.
- Complete a Financial Certificate (non-resident aliens only).
International applicants are encouraged to visit the UNC Graduate School website for more detailed information about TOEFL or IELTS tests and the financial certificate requirement.
Submit your Graduate School Application via the online application for admission. This user-friendly, online application is faster and easier than completing a paper application and ensures the prompt receipt and distribution of your application information. You may check your application status online at http://my.unc.edu/dt.
Individuals with special needs or Internet access problems can request a paper copy of the application from email@example.com.
Applicants are encouraged to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) at the earliest possible date. You should take the Aptitude/General Test. Information on the GRE is available at http://www.ets.org.
If you have questions concerning your application or application procedures, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the Department
DCRP annually hosts both a fall Visitation and a spring Open House event, but we can also accommodate visits at other times during the semester. To ensure a productive visit, please allow two weeks advance notice so we can coordinate faculty, student, and staff schedules. Please send your visit request to: email@example.com