Skip to main content

Oxfam released a report on January 14 this year that found that the richest 1% own more than all the rest of the 99% of the world. The concentration of wealth is now so extreme that just 62 people in the world own as much wealth and income as 50% of the world’s poorest people. Similarly, a handful of cities around the world generate more wealth, and attract more talent and investment that drives the global economy. These disparities are not only widening, but they are hollowing out entire regions. As has been widely cited over the past decade, this situation is eroding the middle class. Where does this leave low income families and households and the less connected localities and communities of the world? What economic, social, political, and institutional factors must we consider in order to develop and prosper in an increasingly unequal world? What is the lived experience of poverty, inequality and segregation? How can we develop insights, frameworks, and tools to build a world of shared prosperity?