His books include:
- Cooperating with Nature: Confronting Natural Hazards with Land-Use Planning for Sustainable Communities. Washington, DC: Joseph Henry/National Academy Press, 1998.
- Making Governments Plan: State Experiments in Managing Land Use (with Peter J. May, Philip R. Berke, Linda C. Dalton, Steven P. French, and Edward J. Kaiser). Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1997.
- Environmental Management and Governance: Intergovernmental Approaches to Hazards and Sustainability (with Peter J. May, Neil. J. Ericksen, John W. Handmer, Jennifer E. Dixon, Sarah Michaels, and D. Ingle Smith. London: Routledge Publishers, 1996.
- Sharing Environmental Risks (with Beverly Cigler, Steven P. French, Edward J. Kaiser, Jack Kartez, Dale Roenigk, Dana Weist, and Dale Whittington). Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1991.
- Cities Under Water (with Scott A. Bollens, James Holway, Edward J. Kaiser, David Mullan, and John R. Sheaffer). Boulder, CO: Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado, 1988.
- Electric Utility Load Management (with Nicholas Didow, Mary Ellen Marsden, Michelle Bunn, Charles Hanna, and Stephen Johnston). Totowa, NJ: Littlefield, Adams and Company, 1985.
- Flood Plain Land-Use Management (with Steven P. French, Beverly Cigler, Edward J. Kaiser, David H. Moreau, and Bruce Stiftel). Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1985.
- Drinking Water Supplies: Protection Through Watershed Management (with Edward J. Kaiser, Todd L. Miller and David H. Moreau). Ann Arbor, MI: Ann Arbor Science Publishers, 1983.
- Energy and Housing (with Mary Ellen Marsden). Cambridge, MA: Oelschalger, Gunn and Hain Publishers, Inc., 1980.
- Energy and the Community (with A. Flemming Bell). Cambridge, MA: Ballinger Publishing Company, 1978.
- Schools in New Communities (with Thomas G. Donnelly). Cambridge, MA: Ballinger Publishing Company, 1977.
- Recreation and Leisure in New Communities. Cambridge, MA: Ballinger Publishing Company, 1976.
- Health Care in New Communities (with Norman H. Loewenthal). Cambridge, MA: Ballinger Publishing Company, 1976.
- New Communities U.S.A. (with Shirley F. Weiss and others). Lexington, MA: D.C. Heath and Company, Lexington Books, 1976.
Curriculum Vitae Link