Stephen Baxter Professor Emeritus, FAICP
309 New East
David R. (Dave) Godschalk FAICP is Professor Emeritus in the Department of City and Regional Planning at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He received the 2015 President’s Award from the American Planning Association for his Sustaining Places publications, along with his lifetime of advancing the best ideas in planning. He has been a consultant, planning director, expert witness, registered architect (inactive) in the State of Florida, and a Navy Reserve destroyer skipper. In addition to book reviews for Urban Land, his recent publications include:
- Sustaining Places: The Role of the Comprehensive Plan. David Godschalk and William Anderson. Planning Advisory Service Report Number 567. Chicago: American Planning Association, 2012.
- The Dynamic Decade: Creating the Sustainable Campus for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2001-2011. David R. Godschalk and Jonathan B. Howes. (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2012).
- Sustainable Development Projects: Integrating, Design, Development, and Regulation. David R. Godschalk and Emil B. Malizia. (Chicago: Planners Press, 2013).
- Sustaining Place: Best Practices for Comprehensive Plans. David R. Godschalk and David Rouse. Planning Advisory Service Report Number 578. Chicago: American Planning Association, 2015.
- Searching for the Sweet Spot: A Planner’s Memoir. (Create Space Independent Publishing Platform, 2017)
- “A Planning Life: Bridging Academics and Practice,” Journal of the American Planning Association 80:1, 83-90. Winter, 2014.
- “ACSP Distinguished Educator, 1986: F. Stuart Chapin, Jr.,” Journal of Planning Education and Research 36:1, 119-129. Spring, 2016.
- “Comprehensive Plan Standards: A Sustaining Places Toolkit.” The Commissioner, Planning Magazine. February 2017.