Natural Areas Conservation Intern
- Firm Name
- North Carolina Botanical Garden
- Firm Location
- Chapel Hill, NC
- Firm Website
The Natural Areas Conservation Intern (2 positions) will work to support the conservation and restoration efforts of the North Carolina Botanical Garden within NCBG-managed nature preserves. This internship is a great introduction to applied conservation and natural area management and is ideal for undergraduates or recent graduates. The internship provides hands-on experience working mostly outdoors with staff and volunteers to advance the Botanical Garden’s management plans. The intern will learn about local botany, ecology, trail maintenance, land management, and conservation issues, from the perspective of an education-, research-, and conservation-oriented public garden. One intern with outstanding qualifications will be named the Charlotte Jones Roe Conservation Intern in 2024.
Tasks may include:
- Restoring managed lands by removing invasive plants using hand tools, herbicide, and other methods.
- Maintaining hiking trails and other visitor-supporting infrastructure.
- Working with and leading volunteer groups.
- Occasionally, supporting Conservation department projects such as propagating collections of restoration plants, monitoring plant populations, or processing native seed materials.
- Other tasks as needed, such as developing interpretive information, providing information to educate visitors, and self-guided research.
- Some past summer interns have paired UNC summer session courses with this internship experience.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Graduation from high school and some experience in horticultural work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Special Licensure or Certification: May require North Carolina Pesticide License; North Carolina Commercial Driver’s License.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
- Willingness to perform manual tasks in a primarily outdoor environment
- The ability to work both as a team member and independently
- Passion for the environment and the Botanical Garden’s mission
- The ability to work with people of different backgrounds
- Experience working outdoors in variable conditions
Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
- Previous experience volunteering with or working with conservation organizations
- Coursework in the fields of biology, ecology, environmental science, environmental studies, sustainability, park management, or related
- Experience working with plants
Special Physical/Mental Requirements
Ability to perform physically demanding work (including bending, stooping on varied terrain, and endure exposure to summer sun, heat, humidity, and natural hazards (mosquitos, ticks, fire ants, venomous snakes, poison ivy) on a routine basis with or without reasonable accommodations.
This position requires that you be able to lift/move/maneuver 40 lbs with or without reasonable accommodation.
Apply using the link here: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/273755
- Job Type
- Paid Y/N
- Application Due
- Start Date